Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek and Actin' the Fool

I know what you're thinking. Two consecutive posts? Impossible. Absolutely, utterly, and entirely impossible. You don't have to lie to me. That's definitely what's going through your mind right now. That or, "Kara, get to writing already. Your pathetic attempts to be funny and clever are failing miserably." Well, geeze. Fine, then. No need to be rude.

Ahem. I saw Star Trek tonight and let me say, as someone who has never really even attempted to be a Trekkie (i.e. watched a single episode...), that movie left me wishing I'd been one my whole life long. It was nothing short of incredible. I have to admit that my favorite character was not Spock, not Kirk, not McCoy, but rather, Chekov. Oh man. He was absolutely precious. I couldn't get enough of him. I made the mistake of sharing that little fact with Dennis on the phone tonight. Here's how that went:

Dennis: He had an absolutely over-the-top accent. I mean, that was unnecessary.
Kara: Aww, come on. He was my favorite character!
Dennis: Really? Well, that's fine. But still. It's really annoying when movies have characters with unbearably heavy accents.
Kara: I think all girls kinda have a thing for accents...
Dennis: I don't think I like where this is going.

Hahahaha. I'm sure I said something to assuage his discomfort over that particular topic, although I can't remember what it was at the moment. I also think it's much more entertaining to leave the conversation there, don't you? :)

So, if you didn't catch the main points of that:
1. Star Trek was awesome enough to make me want to be a Trekkie.
2. I have an itty-bitty-not-a-crush on Chekov.
3. My fascination with accents makes my boyfriend uncomfortable.

I've actually just remembered what it was that I used to cheer him up. I reminded him that every now and then his Irish heritage surfaces in his speech when he least expects it in words such as "potato," "portion," and "life." It's undeniably cute. I'll stop being gross now.

Dennis and I have a way of making people, well, not gag, but wince. Case in point -- Marybeth. Marybeth is my roommate for the 2009-10 school year. Last night, after studying for a few hours for our Survey of British Literature exam, I showed her Dennis' cover of "I Will Follow You into the Dark" as well as my copy of the same song with my vocal harmonies recorded into Dennis' track. She shook her head halfway into the song, buried her face in her hands and uttered a part-squeal, part-wince, part-disbelieving giggle and sighed, "You guys. Ugh. Too cute." We don't exactly intend to cause these reactions in people. It just seems to be what we do. I'm not sure whether we should be proud of this or not.

I've avoided singling people out to tell that Dennis spent all of today writing a song for me again today. Mostly because this song is particularly personal as it arose from a rather sad night the two of us had. I love the way he will go so far out of his way to make sure I'm okay. He's so loving. I'm so blessed to have him in my life.

Tonight, I probably shouldn't write a novel on here, since I'm already wracking my brain for more topics to write about from today. Not to mention, I'm distracted by listening to the afore-mentioned song on repeat. :)

I love you all! I hope all of your tomorrows are beautiful. <3

Bonus material -- A line from the song mentioned in the post:
"And I know: It takes an average of 21 seconds for you to burst out laughing when I tell a bad joke."
:)

No comments: