Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly. :)

It's a beautiful Tuesday afternoon and, on any other Tuesday afternoon, I'd be getting ready for class. But not this Tuesday. This Tuesday I'm free to relax and make the most of the beautiful day outside. Why is all of this possible? My English class was cancelled - again. I'm new to the whole college thing, yes, but, is one class supposed to be cancelled so many times? I'm not complaining, really. After all, it's nice to have a break. :)

As I'm writing, I'm watching the snow drift in lazy circles outside my dorm room window. It started snowing early morning Sunday while Dennis and I were walking to the Church on campus. Having here already had me in a beautiful mood; the snow just made it that much better! And yes, you read that right! Dennis visited this weekend! He rode the Greyhound out to Roanoke where the boyfriend of our friend Cam's roommate picked the three of them (Cam, Dennis, and Amanda) up and drove them to campus.

While I sat on the bench outside my dorm around six in the evening, awaiting his arrival, every single boy that walked past looked like him for a split second. I was that excited. I honestly almost tackled one kid, thinking it was Dennis. Honestly, I should have my eyes checked. Haha.

When I finally did spot him (the real one! Hahaha) he was across the street from me so I had to wait to tackle him. But once he made it across, he was immediately in my arms and I in his. I'm so thankful for the technology that allows me to talk to him face to face every night on my computer, but, I'm exponentially more thankful to be able to hug him.

Needless to say it was a fantastic weekend, other than poor Dennis having to stay up late at the mercy of the people he was spending the night with and then the both of us being so tired on Saturday that our emotions were a little topsy turvy. It was so wonderful to introduce him to everyone I talk about all of the time. We watched copious amounts of Jon and Kate Plus Eight, Amelie, and several episodes of the Office that he was behind on while eating caesar salad, macaroni, and chicken sandwiches from DXpress. Yum!

He and I went out for lunch on Saturday to Backstreets and had bruschetta and a New York style pizza topped with green peppers, pepperoni, and onion. Yum! It was delicious. =) Afterwards, we stopped in at Crumb and Get It Cookie Co. (which is like Coldstone for cookies - "You know it's a rip-off when the first thing they say to you is 'It's like Coldstone...'" - Dennis. Hahaha.) where we made sugar cookies with rainbow sprinkles and chocolate cookies with Reese's Pieces. While we were waiting for our cookies to bake, we sat at one of the tables and thumbed through the "conversation starter" cards Crumb and Get It always has on the tables. We asked each other a bunch of questions such as "What's the best and worst thing about being a man/woman" and came up with some pretty silly answers to a lot of them.

When our cookies were done, I walked him around campus and showed him two of my classrooms before taking him to the Duck Pond. The Duck Pond is considered, I suppose, the most romantic place on campus. Personally, I would say it's just the most beautiful! We sat on the brick wall by the miniature waterfall and ate our cookies while talking and laughing like always. He made me laugh so hard, I cried. I've missed that. :) I accidentally snatched the largest half of one of the cookies and Dennis teased me to no end over it. I love him so much.

After a while, it began to get cold, so we returned to my dorm where we watched tv, ate pixy stix, and he babied me because my stomach felt absolutely awful. We decided later it was probably the bruschetta. Bleh. Why do the foods I love always bite me back?

We made it (with a few minor complications...whoops) to my big brother's Mixed Emotions a cappella concert, which was absolutely fantastic! I really wish I had made the group when I tried out, but, I'll keep trying. :) No hard feelings...just an overwhelming desire to be a part of it. I really hope I was right when I told Dennis that I'd like to think I could overcome my fear of being a soloist for the sake of the group. We'll see!

Speaking of Mixed Emotions, they're actually in the running for having a song ("The Luckiest") on Ben Folds' college a cappella CD. You can actually find the video here. And, it's really really rough, since it was their first day learning the song, but you can almost hear my brother singing his solo on Would You Go With Me. Just a little shameless plugging. :)

Cam spent the night with me Saturday night. I really adore her! She's so sweet and fun and open to everyone. I'm glad that even after high school is over, I'm getting the chance to know someone I should have gotten to know better back then. It's a blessing, for sure.

Sunday morning, Dennis and I went to the 10 o'clock mass at Newman Chapel where Dennis whine ( ;D ) about not knowing any of the songs. It is a bit ironic, considering that Catholic means "universal" and the intercessions during mass tend to be the same at any Catholic Church you go to...but, nope. Not Newman. We prefer to write our own. ;D Dennis likes singing along at mass, so he was an itsy bit disgruntled by that. I found it slightly amusing because I remember how overwhelmed I was my first morning singing in the choir, not knowing ANY of the intercessions. God was just reminding me not to be cocky, I suppose. :)

After Church, Dennis and I wolfed down a brunch of plain pancakes, blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and biscuits with jam before we whisked him off to Amanda's boyfriend's car to meet the Greyhound in Roanoke. The weekend really flew by. But I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. It was so good to have him here where I wish he could be every single day. I was grateful that we had the little time we did, though. :)

This evening at the Newman House (where the Catholic community hosts all of their events, where our priest and campus minister live, etc.) we're having our Thanksgiving Dinner and canned food drive. I'm super excited because I haven't done anything with Newman recently and I love everyone there immensely! My (last? :( ) faith sharing meeting is afterwards, too. In the middle of dinner, I should be running over to the GLC to hear Bethany and Alaina play their set for Beth's birthday with the Acoustic Cafe. I'm super excited for them! I know they'll be incredible. :)

That's all for now, lovelies! I love you all and hope your weeks are blessed! <3

No comments: